Editing Certificate from University of Chicago Graham School
- Completed editing certificate June 2019
- Class completed: Basic Manuscript Editing, Intermediate Manuscript Editing, Advanced Manuscript Editing, Editing Electronically, Introduction to Acquisitions Editing, and Copyright for Publishing Professionals
In the University of Chicago’s editing certificate program, I am learning foundational editing skills and discussing new trends and technologies in publishing through a focused sequence of courses designed to help current editing professionals build skills and knowledge for career advancement. The Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition, an authoritative resource used widely in the publishing industry, is the required text for the certificate. In addition to core courses focused on manuscript editing, I will have the opportunity to learn about the emerging technologies and marketing tools that dramatically affect publishing professionals today.
HubSpot Inbound Marketing Certification
- Completed certification November 2019
Bachelor’s degree in English and history from Concordia University, Nebraska
- Graduated in May 2017
- GPA: 3.93 on 4.0 scale
- Note: I do not support CUNE’s policies or politics.
I was named an Outstanding Student in the English, Communications, and Theatre Arts Department in May 2017.
My studies in English encompassed both writing and literature, including Journalistic Editing, Fiction Writing, Poetry Writing, Shakespeare, World Literature I, American Literature II, British Literature III, and Sociolinguistics. I also took an independent study capstone class focused on textual criticism and editing.
I enjoyed taking various classes that were not part of my major but counted toward general education and electives. Courses like Church Art and Architecture, Art History III, Psychology 101, Introduction to Film Criticism, Introduction to Logic, Astronomy, and Theatre History intrigued me and allowed me to look into subjects that I had not previously learned much about.
During my college years, I served as the copyeditor and managing editor of our campus newspaper, The Sower, and as the editor of the university’s creative writing journal, Potpourri.
Semester abroad with Concordia International Studies Consortium
Semester abroad, Concordia International Studies Consortium
- Spring semester 2016 in Rome, Italy, and Wittenberg, Germany
- Weeklong service project teaching English at a school in Gyor, Hungary
- Arts and Culture in Rome, History of Christianity, German 101, Intercultural Communication, and Managing in the Global Economy
Xavier High School
I attended Xavier High School, a Catholic high school in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I took four years of Spanish, three years of French, and two years of Latin. I joined the newspaper my junior year and wrote news stories; senior year, I wrote news stories and copyedited articles.